Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Japan 14 months-69 weeks


Eikaiwa. The balding man is the Schzophrenic one. I really like him.
They thought I looked like the Monkey...
"put it on its side and shell-o, you've got a slide"

Spaghetti.
One of the Volleyball ladies. She is an eikaiwa student and looks like and Indian. Hahahaha
I am trying to teach the Asians how to take ugly pictures.
He was a lot better.

This is my new companion. He is so cute.
This is our new mission president and his wife! The Ginger and the Brasilian are in the picture because they wouldnt move..







Human Becoming.



We met our new mission president this week. President and Sister Nakatsuka. They are both very solid looking Japanese people. They have lived in Utah for a long time so their English is perfect, but they don't speak it very much. We met them on Tuesday. It was the first meeting they were going to have with any of the missionaries so they were nervous. They started by introducing themselves and they are both super cool. I think Nakatuska Kaicho has the coolest hair ever. Nakatsuka Kaicho then gave us his message that he prepared. It was about 'Becoming'. He talked to us about the difference between human being and human becoming. Missionary work requires more than just 'doing it', being obedient and doing what we are told, It requires all of us and our hearts. He talked about giving our hearts into obedience. He challenged us to look at what we are doing to become better. Be human becoming. It was amazing and tons of Sister missionaries were crying. He is bringing new things to the mission. He is really focusing on baptizing and being 100% in the mission, not just our bodies, but our hearts. I got all pumped up from his talk and was ready to go use what I learned.
We got back to Abashiri to great news. Higaki san sent the letter to her parents about getting parental permission for baptism and wanted to meet with us Saturday at 2:00. Usually every Saturday at 2:00 we have an activity at the church, but because of other appointments nobody could make it that Saturday so we cancelled the activity. We got a Team up for the lesson and walked with Higaki san to the church at 2:00. About five minutes after we got there and set up, the door opens and in walks Kiriyama san.
Kiriyama san is one of the recent converts (Kaho shimai)'s friend. Kiriyama san came to Saturday's activity last week and said if she had time she would come again. Well nobody expected her to come back, and nobody told her that we didn't have an activity that Saturday. It was extremely awkward. We had Higaki san, who is one step away from being baptized and Kiriyama san, who has no idea what church is even about. I prayed soooo hard to know what to do. "Kiriyama san, do you want to sit down and have a lesson with us about church stuff?" "Please!" It was a lot easier than I thought.
We opened the lesson with a prayer and the next thing I know Higaki san is opening her phone. "I got an email from my parents. They responded about me getting baptized." She was too emotional and couldn't read it.
Higaki san's parents are not against her getting baptized, but they are not going to let her get baptized yet. Up until now Higaki san's parents have been fine with her doing whatever she wanted to do, just as long as she was home for dinner at night. When her parents responded with a 'NO' Higaki san gave up. She now no longer knows what to do. She is scared to talk to her parents and scared to get baptized. Her parents live in Hiroshima (a 6 hour plane ride away) and before she can get baptized, her parents are making her come home and talk to her. Higaki san doesn't want to go home for summer break (in 3 weeks) because she knows she will just end up fighting with her parents. Her next thought was just wait until September and she is 20 and can get baptized without needing parental permission. We testified, testified and testified even more. "I don't know what to do. I think I will just wait for 1 or 2 years..."
This whole time Kiriyama san, a 16 year old girl is just sitting there listening as closely as she can. We testified that although Higaki san may not know what to do right now, her Heavenly Father loves her and knows what is best for her. We challenged her to pray and to keep following the commandments to recieve that answer. The Abashiri members love her too much and are not going to let her go. Tonight we have a Family Home Evening with a member and then later this week are doing another one. I know that Higaki san will get her answer. It is taking a lot of faith on her part and our part.
I am learning that through helping people convert, I am converting as well. I am having to pray just as hard as them, read the scriptures for answers, keep the commandments, listen in church and even give up things that I may not neccessarily want to. (Still am not eating sugar. I am dying.) But I am so grateful for this opportunity.
Higaki san may not be getting baptized when we planned and thought she would, but she will be getting baptized. We are just patiently praying and working for that answer.
At the end of the lesson Kiriyama san says, "It is good to know that there is always someone listening. I want to talk with God and see what He can help me with. I want to learn more." It was a bitter-sweet miracle. But you have to have the hard times to experience the good times.
I love you all and I love the Lake Powell pictures you took. Justin your hair is incredible. Keep being excellent to each other. LOVE YOU.
-Mecham Choro.

OH and transfer calls are tomorrow. Don't have any idea what will be happening there.





No comments:

Post a Comment