Thursday, January 29, 2015

Japan Ebetsu 20 months 1 week- 97


So it is all in Japanese and you probably can't read it, but this is the poster the cafe owner made for us. I will translate.
"Won't you come spent some lovely time under the candle light with us?"

Yes she is bringing out the candles. Lots of them.
We are taking our band poster pictures this week so look forward to those next week. 

We had 12 missionaries in an elevator. Too cool. 

I played Jenga with this kid. He beat me. 
This is my companion asleep at Ward mission council meeting thing. 
In Japanese it is just DCS... 
too cute. 

classic engrish. 

Everyone is sick. Seriously every one in my district except me got sick this week. Pray for me! I cannot get sick before the concert! 

                                                                  Music and Lyrics 
Almost every day this week, we were practicing music. I never want to join a real band. This is too much stress. First off we had no instruments. My companion had an electric bass, but we wanted an electric guitar. I had a keyboard that can fit into my backpack, but that was not good enough. We asked a lot of members but they all said they don't have anything. So finally we asked the really quiet gospel principles teacher. And naturally she has a guitar. She had no idea what it was. She though it was an acoustic guitar, but it was an electric! So we got that on Monday and then practiced with that. 
Tuesday we had splits so we didn't have time to practice. It also decided to blizzard on Tuesday. It snowed about one foot in one hour. It was crazy. And naturally, we forgot to wear boots that day. Tuesday was a lot of lyrics writing. The set list as of right now is: "Creep" by Radiohead, "Scientist" by Coldplay "Faith" by George Michael, "Hey Jude" by The Beatles "How to save a Life" by the Fray, "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne, and "Love one Another" by Hymn book. As you can tell the lyrics are way inappropriate so Tuesday night was dedicated to writing lyrics. My favorite is probably Faith by George Michael. The lyrics are now, "Well I guess it would be nice, if you would come to church, cause if you'd come to church, well then you'd know it's true. But you've gotta think twice, before you turn your head away, and I know all the games you play because I've played them too. But you need some time off from self-devotion. Time to pick your soul off of the floor. Oh when the spirit comes down with out emotion, all it takes is some believing and I'm showing you the door. Because you've gotta have faith." Our songs are ridiculous. Creep is about Joseph Smith seeing Moroni and pondering about that moment. "But I will weeeeeeep, I will ponder, about the moment I just had, what to do from here? Where? Do I find the gold plates?" It is too much fun. 
Wednesday was our first band practice. Wednesday the band tofu Cheesecake came together.  We met Hikaru kun. He is a super good bass player and saved our day. He had extra amps and was more than willing to share with us. We practiced at the cafe and introduced the songs to him. He was a little iffy about playing in the concert with us, because.... well we sounded horrible. haha and Hikaru has never played in a band before, but we promised him it would be a lot of fun. I got to know him, and turns out his birthday is 10 days after mine, he is also 20 years old and a Christian! This got him super excited so just like teaching a lesson, when the spirit is the highest you extend a commitment. "Hikaru, will you play with us at the concert next Saturday?" he was silent..... so my companion played some jazz chords and next thing you know we are having a jam session. Hikaru was so impressed and said yes! We made a band. 
This concert is taking up so much of our time, but it is going to be so good. It is this Saturday so you will get to see tons of pictures next week. We are super excited for it. I love you all so much. Be excellent to each other.
-Mecham Choro.


No comments:

Post a Comment