Monday, April 28, 2014

Japan 11 months 3 weeks-59



We were out pinging houses and we came up to one that was very spanish looking. It was a super nice house and the lady came out. The second I saw her face I almost busted up laughing. She looks like a female version of "Emigo montoya"(?) From The Princess Bride. Naturally we taught her a lesson and made an appointment for next week. 
I have been out on my mission for almost 14 months now. Gross.. In that time period I had the opportunity to see one person get baptized. I never taught him, but just saw the baptism actually happen. This last month I saw another baptism. Well now we are on fire. On Saturday we saw the baptism of the daughter of the man who was baptized last month. Yesterday the other Elders in our apartments investigator was baptized. Next week the Sisters investigator is getting baptized. So I was able to see all of these people get baptized, yet I have not seen one of my investigators get baptized. Naturally I had a lot of time to think about baptism. 
On Saturday the Kotoni Sisters come running up to us freaking out, 'We have a referral for you! And She wants to be baptized! IN MAY!!! That is this transfer!" "Who is it?!" "Kawashima Nobuko san." 
Kawashima san is an eternal investigator. She is a very very unique person. She has been around missionaries and the church for a very long time. (40 years.) She has a hard time making good relationships with members and missionaries because her personality is a bit over bearing and can really freak people out. When I first got to Japan I just thought her Engrish was incredible so I laughed at everything she said. I could not understand her Japanese, so I just said yes to everything. Turns out that was a good choice. Kawashima san said that she respects me and felt that the missionaries were changing from the way they were a long time ago, but now she feels we are back to how we should be. Representatives of Jesus Christ. 
Yesterday we made a baptismal date with her for the 18th of May. We have amazing members who are really helping us out and we have lessons scheduled with them almost everyday for the next 3 weeks. One of the members is Sato Shimai. Her husband is a member, but is going through a hard time so he kind of hates the church. So she is not allowed to leave the house while he is home. But Sato Shimai said in the lesson, "It doesn't matter. You (Kawashima san) need the Holy Ghost. You need to be baptized. I will be there." (we are just having lessons earlier in the day while her husband is at work).
We are excited to see what will happen. I just really need to strengthen my faith that the atonement can change people. WHICH IT CAN! 
Ono san read the Book of Mormon. He is now up to page 15. He is sloooowly progressing, BUT he is progressing. 
Hasegawa san committed to read the Book of Mormon and is going to try and come to church next week if she has work off. 
Tomita san came to eikaiwa (english class) and got along perfectly with the members. Her beautiful family is just too perfect. She called us yesterday and said that she is sick, so we weren't able to meet with her yesterday like we normally do, but she should be coming to Eikaiwa tomorrow. 
Fujimoto san is a new investigator that we made yesterday. She is very talkative, but super prepared. She has seen a lot of sketchy things as a kid, (exorcisms, robberies, murders, ect.) and these things have messed with her brain. She works in a hospital as a custodian and has the opportunity to be around a lot of depressed patients who have seen a lot, just like her. She said that when she was a kid she came to believe in God and knew that He is there because He has kept her alive and protected her. She doesn't really understand much about Him, but knows He is there. So she wants everyone to be happy and loved, and does this by smiling all of the time and writing people letters. She brought out this HUGE box of letters that she got from patients. We then went into prayer and how we can better understand our Heavenly Father and pray for others to feel His love through prayer. She also wants to come to church. 
She is very prepared and we are sooo excited to see what will happen with her. Only problem is she likes talking... a lot. 
This week Aoyagi Choro and his wife came to the mission and did some amazing workshops. I learned a lot about faith and finding. We went straight to applying what we learned and within 24 hours we had an investigator with a baptismal date. This week was very fun and very busy. I have never played the piano so much in my life. I had to play it for both baptisms and then a random Stake Priesthood meeting we had as well. I am now becoming a professional with the organ as well. 
Life is incredibly terrific up here in Hokkaido. It is warm and I sweat so much everyday.  I love you all so very much. Be excellent to each other. This email was way too long. 
-Jake Snow Mecham Choro. 

No comments:

Post a Comment