Tim tam slam. It is tradition. Gross.
I have been on a mission for a year. (in 3 days it will be a year. It is actually only March 10th right now, and I left of March 13th). I have almost finished my whole journal as well. I have been reading over random days lately, and it has been so much fun to see how much I have grown. My mother asked how I feel about my mission, now that I am half way through it. Well first off, it has gone way too fast. It feels like it has been a year, but it also feels like I just got here. Time is messed up. I have learned a lot about humans from serving a mission. I have learned how weird, amazing, and important every single person is. I have learned how we need to take every single opportunity we are blessed to have, and do our very best with it. My Grandpa Snow told me that before my mission. He said that I need to give my absolute 100% on my mission. I can't put half of my effort into anything I do. I can honestly say that there has not been a day where I have put less than 100% into the work I am doing. There have been days where I have been sooo tired and wanted to slack off, but I never have. And through working so hard through those days I have learned the most. One of my MTC teachers said that she always cries whenever she talks about her mission. I wondered why at first, but now I know why. Missions are like living 23849 lives at the same time. There is so much learning and growing everyday that it just feels like you are living a ton of lives at the same time. A few weeks ago I was sitting in a meeting with a bunch of missionaries and looking around at everyone. I remember feeling so much love for all of them and for the people we were learning for and training for in that meeting. We all looked so tired from working our hardest everyday, yet we were beyond happy. Some of them were even crying, but that is normal. I thought about what my mission is like and the first thing I thought of was a war. Except a war that everyone should experience. It is something way to hard to describe, something super hard to experience, yet it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life.
Well I am training right now! I have a fresh new missionary! His name is Elder Swenson from Arizona. We actually look a lot alike. It is kinda weird. He is 18 years old and now the youngest on the mission. He doesn't act 18 at all, and really wants to work his hardest. We weren't able to meet with a single one of our investigators this week, because they all decided to not be home at the same time, or not come to the door. Some of them we knew were home because we heard and saw them, but they just wouldn't come outside. I wanted to show Elder Swenson soooo bad what it is like to teach an investigator. It is one of the most amazing feelings ever to testify to them and to watch them feel the spirit.
Yesterday we went back to a young family that we found a few weeks ago. Tomita san. She is a young mom with 2 beautiful children. She wasn't there on our return appointment, but we went back and this time she was home! My bean (Swenson choro) thought that Tomita san was a member and that we were just hanging out with them, but then I started teaching and he caught on. We started to teach the Plan of Salvation and then I had him testify. He said that during that lesson, when he started to testify, he felt the spirit stronger than he has felt in a long time.
Training is a lot of fun. I am soooo tired, yet I am having so much fun doing it. We are learning and growing a lot.
To end it on a funny note- yesterday we were housing in this really gross area and we knocked on this one door and a half naked 94 year old man came to the door. He then asked us if we were english-jin. We said yes and he made us come in. He then told us stories about sumo wrestlers (surprisingly the first time hearing about them on my mission) and then started to solute us and go crazy. Every time we would try to talk he would scream and try to pray hahaha. He was crazy. Then he tried to give us alcohol and cigarettes. We testified to him and taught him and then left the crazy, drunk, 94 year old man. I love Japan.
I LOVE YOU ALL. Be excellent to each other.
-Jake Snow Mecham Choro.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment